Saturday, February 15, 2014

Prologue



"She still has brainwaves, so that is a really good sign."  Doctor Thomas says.  "When do you think she will wake up, Doc?"  "I wish I could tell you Mike, but with this kind of injury, there is no definite answer.  I'm sorry."  My stomach has been in knots. I can't eat or sleep.  Sleep? what's that?  I don't really know what else to ask.  "Ok, thanks, Doc." 


 He walks out of the room leaving me alone again.  Well, I am not really alone.  She is here, but she can't speak.  Hell she can't even move.  If only she would just squeeze my hand.  She doesn't. 


I always sit in this chair next to her bed.  I wait for the day she moves or makes some sign of life.  It's really quiet in here.  They have turned the machines down so they don't disturb us.  Us, huh that's funny.  She probably can't hear or feel me.  They tell me she can, but I just want to know why she hasn't come back to me.  Where is she?  Is she safe in her own head?  Why isn't she fighting?  Is she fighting?  These are questions that I ask myself.  And they play over and over again.  


I sit down and wait again.  I talk a little.  I tell her about my job and how things are going.  The children miss her and how they can't wait for her to get better.  "So that is how my day went.  I wonder how your day is going.  I bet you are imagining me naked on the beach.  Am I right?  I tried one of your famous recipes, ya let's just say I can't cook as good as you.  I need to go soon.  I have another company asking me for an advertisement.  I feel like this one is asking me for a bit more than I can give."

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Why can't you just give up? Mike isn't going to love you anymore.  He wants to leave and never come back.  Just die already."

"SHUT UP!!  I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!, DO YOU HEAR ME ANGIE!!  NEVER!"

"You will, I promise!"



-----------------------------------------------------------------
I don't want to go home but I have to go to work.  I won't sleep much.  I haven't been able to since the accident.  I want to say it's because I miss her warm body next to mine, but that's not it at all.  I am worried.  I worry she won't wake up.  What if I have to decide to pull the plug?  I can't do that. Even though I know it would probably be in her best interest.  Fred,  my father in-law wouldn't be able to do that.  If only she would just wake up.  It's going on a year.  


If only she would, please God.  Wake her up.  Let her be my wife again.  I can't go on much longer.  I vowed in sickness and in health, but this is...............  It's hard, so hard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

ANGIE PLEASE!

Ha, Ha he is going to be mine.  You said he could never love someone like me.

I didn't mean it, Angie Please.  Let me go back.

I will never let you out, you will be stuck in our head forever.

ANGIE!!!!!




4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I feel so sorry for Mike...and his wife...I am thinking she has split personality disorder or if something else is going on. How heart wrenching for their children. I am intrigued by this story and will anxiously be awaiting the next chapter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will neither confirm or deny it. Yes, it is really hard on Mike, but I think we shall see in a few chapters what's going on.

    Thanks for reading ks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, her inner turmoil with that voice sounded quite scary. Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She wants out, but................. yes that is really scary.

    Thanks for reading JeM!!

    ReplyDelete